Tips for Framing Artwork – Choosing Frames, Matting, and Sizes for Fine art Prints

Blog-Framing-Header.jpg

Tips for Framing Artwork

Choosing Frames, Matting, and Sizes for Art Prints

Picking out artwork for your home is the fun part. But how practice you lot go about framing it? At that place are a few tips and tricks you tin use to make certain yous're choosing the perfect frame for the perfect impress.

Please annotation: This page contains some chapter links, which means if you purchase an particular, I'll receive a small commission at no extra toll to you. 😊

Size

It'southward much easier to find a great and ready-fabricated frame if your artwork fits a standard size frame.

In my shop, I offer up to eleven sizes of fine art prints, each adhering to a standard size. I recommend ownership frames online from Target or Michael's, which offers a wide pick of sizes and materials. If you lot're ordering online, yous can customize your frame + mat sizes with Art to Frame. IKEA is also one of my top picks for cheap frames, simply keep in mind that their sizes aren't all American-standard.

Template-Etsy-Printful-Mockups-03.jpg

Mat Window:

Using mat windows strategically is my ultimate framing pull a fast one on. The mat window is the opening that is cut in a thick paper lath, allowing the artwork to peek through. Mats tin accomplish ii noteworthy things:

  1. You don't have to notice an exact-size frame to fit your artwork. This is especially helpful if you purchased a print that isn't a standard size. All you need to practice is buy a frame in the side by side size (or 2) upwards, then cut a mat board to fit the frame, with a window to showcase the art.

  2. Mats create visual infinite for the artwork to exhale. Instead of the artwork bulging correct up to the frame, a mat provides a border of whitespace.

Trouble: Y'all've purchased a modest print and it feels swallowed by the wall.
Solution: Buy a frame a few sizes up, then cut a mat lath to fit in the frame and showcase the fine art.

Your mat board can be any colour of the rainbow. The primal is to find something that helps the art stand out without being as well distracting itself. Personally, I always stick with a brilliant white mat on archival lath. (Choosing archival ways that the white won't fade to grey or yellow every bit time passes.)

Any framing store will exist able to cut a mat for you. All you lot need to practise is tell them your frame size, your artwork size, and your preferred mat board color. Be certain to leave a quarter inch of extra inch on each side then that the art print doesn't but fall through the window. (For example: if the art print measures 8x10", the actual mat opening should be 7.5x9.5")

Fifty-fifty easier: You can also buy a frame with a ready-made mat already included .

Mat sizes tin can range from thin to thick:

Style

Ornate, lacquered woods? Or a sleek, contemporary surface? The style of your frame can brand just as much of a statement as the artwork itself.

I prefer a combination of statement frames and simple, gallery frames.

If you're unsure, I recommend choosing a no-fuss apartment frame in either black or white. This allows the artwork to shine and allows for a clean and modern artful.

Ornate Frames:

Simple Frames:

My Recommendations:

At present that you lot know the nuts, I'm going to intermission everything downwardly into my recommendations of mat + frame dimensions based on each size of fine art impress I offer on my store.

8x10.jpg

If you purchased a eight x 10" art print, then I recommend a 11 x 14" frame with a mat .

* * S I Z I North G    I Northward F O * *
Frame opening: 11" x 14"
Frame width: 0.5"
–––
Mat size: 11" x 14"
Mat window: 7.five" ten nine.5"
Mat width: 2.25" (top & bottom) & one.75" (sides)

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cutting mat available in white here or in black here.

Frames-2.jpg

If y'all purchased a 10 x 10" art print, and then I recommend a fourteen x 14" frame with a mat .

* * Southward I Z I N G    I Northward F O * *
Frame opening: fourteen" x 14"
Frame width: 1"
–––
Mat size: 14" x fourteen"
Mat window: 9.5" x 9.5"
Mat width: 2"

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cut mat available in white or black hither.

Blog-Framing-Mat-3.jpg

If you purchased a 12 x 12" art impress, then I recommend a sixteen x xvi" frame with a mat .

* * South I Z I North G    I Due north F O * *
Frame opening: xvi" x 16"
Frame width: i"
–––
Mat size: xvi" 10 16"
Mat window: 11.5" x 11.5"
Mat width: 2"

Like shooting fish in a barrel solution: Frame with pre-cut mat available in white or blackness here.

Frames-4.jpg

If y'all purchased a 12 10 16" art print, then I recommend a fifteen.5 x nineteen.5" frame with a mat .

* * S I Z I N G    I N F O * *
Frame opening: 12" x xvi"
Frame width: i.25"
–––
Mat size: 12" ten 16"
Mat window: eleven.v" x 15.v"
Mat width: 2"

Piece of cake solution: Frame with pre-cut mat available in white or black here.

Frames-5.jpg

If you purchased a 14 10 fourteen" art print, then I recommend a 17.5" ten 17.5" frame with a mat .

* * S I Z I N G    I Northward F O * *
Frame opening: fourteen" ten xiv"
Frame width: i.25"
–––
Mat size: 17.5" x 17.5"
Mat window: 13.5" 10 13.5"
Mat width: 2"

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cut mat bachelor in white or black hither.

Frames-6.jpg

If you purchased a sixteen x 16" art print, then I recommend a 20" x twenty" frame with a mat .

* * Southward I Z I N G    I N F O * *
Frame opening: twenty" x 20"
Frame width: 1.25"
–––
Mat size: twenty" x 20"
Mat window: 15.5" 10 xv.5"

Like shooting fish in a barrel solution: Frame with pre-cutting mat available in white or blackness hither.

If yous purchased a 16 x 22" art print, then I recommend a xviii x 24" frame with a mat .

* * South I Z I N Yard    I N F O * *
Frame opening: eighteen" x 24"
Frame width: 1"
–––
Mat size: 16" ten 22"
Mat window: 11.five" 10 17.v"
Mat width: ii.25"

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cut mat available in white or blackness hither.

If you purchased a 18 ten xviii" art print, then I recommend a 22 10 22" frame with a mat .

* * S I Z I N G    I N F O * *
Frame opening: 22" x 22"
Frame width: 1"
–––
Mat size: 22" x 22"
Mat window: 17.5" x 17.v"
Mat width: two.25"

Piece of cake solution: Frame with pre-cut mat bachelor in white or blackness hither.

If you purchased a 16 x 20" art print, then I recommend a xx x 24" frame with a mat .

* * S I Z I N Thousand    I North F O * *
Frame opening: 20" x 24"
Frame width: 1"
–––
Mat size: 22" x 24"
Mat window: 15.5" x 19.5"
Mat width: ii.25"

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cutting mat available in white or black here.

If you purchased a 18 x 24" art print, and so I recommend a 18 x 24" frame.

* * South I Z I N G    I Northward F O * *
Frame opening: eighteen" x 24"
Frame width: 1 or 2"

Easy solution: Frame with pre-cut mat bachelor in white here or blackness here.

If yous purchased a 24 x 36" fine art impress, then I recommend a 24 x 36" frame.

* * S I Z I Northward M    I N F O * *
Frame opening: 24" ten 36"
Frame width: 1 or two"

Piece of cake solution: Frame with pre-cut mat available in white here or black here.

Insight, Creative person Resources

frame guide, guide, framing guide, frames, frame, artwork frame, art print frame, framing art, wall art, tips, catcoq, art prints, art, mat board, matting, mats, mat, art print frames, frames for art, framing artwork, how to frame artwork, how to frame, ca, coquillette, tips for frames, tips for framing, standard size frames, standard size frame, aesthetic, frame style, frame tips, art prin, art print, art frame, frame art